Re: GNOME 2.0 Defaults

On 16Jul2001 08:13AM (+1000), Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think that a really cool and highly usable default desktop is an important
> part of the eventual GNOME 2.0 release, so as a mostly-non-hacker, I'd like
> to help out and spend some time on this. From the webpage, here's a quick
> summary of the point behind it:
>
>   "The final goal is to have a kickarse, beautiful and very usable 'Plain
>   GNOME' default desktop, with accompanying documentation of the final
>   recommendations and the process taken to develop them."
>
> This will not be an opportunity for random discussion and/or flaming... :)
> The process will be strongly directed, and there will be very little room
> for arguing. Recommendations will be made to maintainers, and with their
> blessing, implemented.
>
> Please take a look at the rest of the info on the webpage, and join the
> mailing list if you'd like to contribute.
>
>    web: http://perkypants.org/projects/gnome-defaults/
>
>   list: http://lists.perkypants.org/public/gnome-defaults/

What process will be used to determine what default settings are
appropriate?

I looked at the web page and list archives and did not see any info
about this. It says discussion will be "strongly directed", but not by
whom or in what direction.

I would personally like to see people with some HI skills involved in
the decision-making process, (if we can find any). Also, it would be
great to have some user testing of alternatives. Perhaps Sun could use
it's user testing labs to that end. In fact, I know Sun has already
done a bunch of user testing and perhaps some of that could help
determine some good choices for defaults.

Regards,

Maciej