[Usability] Re: Control-center styles

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:21:05PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > <quote who="Gregory Merchan">
> >
> > >   http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/workspace-settings/
> > >
> > > Placing buttons at the bottom of the window is not an option. This would
> > > make them look too much like dialogs and when placed there they would
> > > change location dramatically when an advanced group of settings is
> > > displayed.
> >
> > Dude, I think your heart is in the right place, but your buttons most
> > certainly aren't. :)
> >
> > [ The concept is great, but the interface doesn't really tie in with
> > everything else (familiarity, etc). ]
>
> Further thought:
>
> You're right in that these are toolbar-style buttons; thus they don't belong
> on the bottom row [1]. This seems to be a good compromise, given that many
> don't believe that dialogues should have toolbars.
>
> What are your thoughts on extra buttons in file dialogues, such as
> navigation helpers (home, 'my documents') and disk/network browsing buttons?
> Perhaps these are in the same league, and should be looked at similarly...

I can't answer the general question now. (wee bit tired)  But I suspect
that most of the odd buttons that might appear can be removed with some
redesign and consideration of what is useful where and to whom.

> See this screenshot:
>
>   http://perkypants.org/screenshots/os9-open-location-menu.jpg

And see this one:

    http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/filesel.png

However, but for three exceptions, the mac dialog looks ok to me.

1) the option menu and the button menu shown look like they might do the
   same thing. Two ways to do something is . . . pantsy. ;-)

2) I find trees ridiculously slow to navigate, compared to a multi-column
   view. (eep, personal preference :-)

3) Where do I type?

> [ I think this is usability list fodder now. :) Reply-To set accordingly. ]
>
> - Jeff
>
> [1] Although help probably does, as it's an action, and we have a standard
> spot for it.

That would put it dangerously close to any disclosure button and have the
same problem as other buttons there have; the place wouldn't be fixed.
Remember that a settings view (a.k.a. instant-apply settings window) is
not a dialog, it's just another view of the object, much like "View Source"
and the rendered web page are different views of the same object. Some views
are read-only, some only let you change certain things.

> --
>    "I think hot Chinese girls who kick ass are the wave of the future, as
>                 far as films go." - Cody Russell (bratsche)

I keep wondering when the scientist who saves the day was replaced by the mad
scientist out to rule the world. *shrug*

Cheers,
Greg Merchan
--
"On Unix, everything is a file. On _____, everything is an object."