Re: [Usability] Re: Vanilla GNOME defaults

On 20 Dec 2001, Glynn Foster wrote:

> > hopefully something not too ugly
>
> Very detailed. Exactly what we want, thanks Sander.

The evercritical Glynn - though for some reason i don't see a detailed
couter-proposal? 8-)

> > 1 desktop x 4 viewports?
>
> Hum, I get confused...do we not want 4 desktops instead? I think we need
> to get something that is going to work on metacity [and indeed other
> window managers] and I seem to remember that metacity didn't have the
> concept of viewports. I suspect we also want to figure out the other
> preferences too, like tasklist grouping etc..

Well, strictly speaking, the deskguide at least didn't know about
viewports vs. desktops and in fact could only move windows inside one
desktop, even if the window manager didn't have such limitations. So it
really is not a guestion of the deskguide setup but that of window
manager configuration.

As long as the deskguide "provides" a small number (so the beginner
doesn't get totally lost) of separate "desktops" - whetever these are
actual desktops or not - between which it can move windows, the low level
details are largelt immaterial.

> 				See ya,
> 					Glynn :)

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding