[Usability] CHI2002 Workshop Invitation

Greeting, Gnome Usability folks.

It is my honor to invite you to attend a workshop exploring the
intersection of open source development and usability at the upcoming
CHI2002 conference. I'm including the abstract for the workshop at the
end of this mail.

Workshop info:http://www.acm.org/sigchi/chi2002/workshop-monday.html#six
Monday, 22 April 2002, Minneapolis, MN, USA

CHI2002 Conference info: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/chi2002/overview.html

Salient points: If you want to come you have to apply by Jan 22.
Workshop attendance is limited to about 20 people. The workshop costs
$90. The conference costs a lot more than that, but you don't have to go
to the conference to go to the workshop. And if you are a student, the
conference costs less. See the conference website for details.

The workshop is organized by Calum Benson, Nancy Frishberg (the Solaris
HCI Manager) Suzanne Smith, Andrea Mankoski, Seth Nickell and me, Anna
Dirks.

-Anna.

Workshop Abstract:

The human computer interaction (HCI) community has spent a great deal of
time and energy studying and theorizing about collaborative computer
supported work. But open source developers are actually in the trenches
using CSCW methods and practices because they have no other choice. They
work with limited budgets, highly distributed workgroups arranged in
relatively non-hierarchical structures. CHI2002 presents a timely
opportunity to join together in a face-to-face meeting to learn from one
another, to test our assumptions, and to rid ourselves of stereotypes
that may be holding us back from productive collaborations.

The workshop seeks to create a meeting place for people involved in open
source development to encounter people involved in human computer
interaction research and practice. The workshop aims to increase the
likelihood that usability will become a core value in the open source
community. We want to interact and exchange ideas about
  - assuring that distributed work leads to successful products
  - building trust and collaborative relationships in non-hierarchical
systems
  - authorial rights and authority
  - attitudes toward users and user centered design

We invite open source developers and HCI professionals to send a
statement of interest including suggestions for additional topics for
our 1-day workshop. Statements shall not exceed 2 pages (approximately
500 words) and are due no later than January 22, 2002 to Nancy Frishberg
. While we may want to include all interested parties in some activities
in advance of the workshop and following on from it, we anticipate the
face-to-face meeting will be limited to about 20 persons, half from the
open software development side, and half from HCI. We will honor a broad
range of opinions and experiences.

Co-organizers:
Nancy Frishberg, Sun Microsystems, USA
Anna Marie Dirks, Ximian Corporation, USA
Calum Benson, Sun Microsystems, Ireland
Seth Nickell, GNOME Usability Project, USA
Suzanna Smith, Sun Microsystems, USA
Andrea Mankoski, Sun Microsystems, USA

FURTHER DETAILS at
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/chi2002_workshops/archive/frishberg/proposal.html

Send position papers or questions to Nancy Frishberg:
Nancy Frishberg sun com