[Usability] Minutes: Usability project meeting of 12 December 2001

I've never written minutes before, so these aren't in the usual format.
The most important outcome of the meeting is the schedule for the HIG.
The rest is included for completeness and fyi.

Participants:
 Glynn Foster    <glynn foster sun com>
 Calum Benson    <calum benson ireland sun com>
 Suzanna Smith   <suzanna smith sun com>
 Gregory Merchan <merchan phys lsu edu>

Also attending:
 Nils Pedersen   <n p sun com>
 Kenny Graunke   <kenny whitecape org>

The meeting began informally.

Glynn asked what needed to be done still and what issues were open.

Calum stated that we were to meet for scheduling.

Gregory identified four issues:
1) Comments from the first round of review are still being absorbed in the
   Windows and Menus sections.
2) A second round of internal review is needed.
3) A documentation style review is needed.
4) An explicit CVS commit policy is needed.

Discussion proceeded loosely about all five points.

GNOME HIG Schedule
------------------
These dates were determined through the course of the meeting:
  17 Dec 2001: 2nd limited review of the GNOME HIG begins.
   4 Jan 2001: 2nd limited review ends.
   7 Jan 2001: Undecided matters presented for a simple vote.
   9 Jan 2001: Votes due. Further discussion as needed.

On 9 Jan 2002 we should determine how much time is needed for revision.
After revision we will post the HIG for general review. The duration
of this review period should also be determined on 9 Jan 2002. Further
comments will then be processed and then the GNOME HIG will be frozen
for the GNOME 2.0 release.

Windows and Menus sections
--------------------------
Gregory reopened an issue on the Edit menu which led to further discussion.

  Utility Windows
  ---------------
  Gregory asked that everyone send him a list of standard [or common]
  utility windows.

  File->Save Copy
  ---------------
  Glynn asked about this item.

  Gregory noted that it and Revert appear in MS Word(tm) as "Versions..."

  Calum wondered if it should be "Save a Copy" or "Save Copy As..."

  Suzanne asked whether it should be "Save Copy As" or just save a file with
  a name indicating that it is a copy.

  Glynn opined that "Save Copy As" sounded better.

  Suzanne concurred with Glynn.

  Gregory will contact the Abiword developers as he seemed to recall from
  their development list that they'd researched this.

  File->Page Setup  &
  File->Print Preview
  -------------------
  Glynn asked where these were.

  Gregory stated he needed to reinclude them, but that logically they should
  be Format and View items.

  Suzanne noted that she is used to seeing them next to "Print..."

  File->Properties
  ----------------
  Suzanne asked if this item needed ellipsis and noted that StarOffice did
  not use ellipsis.

  Gregory asked, following questions about particular items, if the KDE
  guideline seemed sensible. ( http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/menus/index.html )

  Suzanne asked if the Properties dialog is modal.

  Calum noted that the Windows reasoning is that further interaction is not
  required in a Properties dialog.

  Calum suggested that in GNOME we may prefer our Properties dialogs to be
  modeless.

  Gregory stated that in object-oriented user interfaces, Properties is just
  another view of the object and so not modal.

  Edit->Deselect All
  ------------------
  Gregory reopened this issue on the ground that the HIG should identify
  the correct placement of the item for the rare occasions it is needed.

  Calum stated this sounded reasonable and noted the section was in passive
  voice.

  Gregory cursed his background in physics [and will correct this].

  Edit->Preferences
  -----------------
  Glynn asked if this applied to the document or the application.

  Gregory stated the item applies to application preferences, that
  File->Properties is applies to the document, and noted that
  the text is not up-to-date.

  Glynn cited the section text which would exclude this item and stated the
  text should be explicit.

  Gregory bemoaned the inconsistencies of application-oriented interfaces
  and will correct the text.

Second internal review
----------------------
Suzanne asked how soon the second review could occur and what needed to be
done before then.

Gregory stated he'd be finished with his sections on Monday.

Suzanne asked about Calum's and Colin's sections.

Calum stated that Monday would be an acceptable date for review of his
sections to begin.

Gregory stated that he had taken over Colin's sections after Colin's
prolonged absence.

Glynn asked whether John Fleck or others had reviewed the HIG yet.

Calum noted that bar one or two people, no one had.

Suzanne asked when the second internal review should end.

Gregory suggested a week.

Calum noted he'd be absent for many days this month, but should have his
section ready for the start of review.

A list of invited reviewers was made.

Gregory will notify them late Wednesday or early Thursday.

Documentation style guide review
--------------------------------
Calum asked when we should accept Patrick Costello's
<patrick costello ireland sun com> offer to review the HIG for documentation
styleguide compliance; during or after the second internal review?

Gregory suggested that during second internal review should work.

Calum will contact Patrick.

CVS commit policy
Calum suggested each HIG writer has free reign on his own chapters, but should
ask before changing other writer's chapters.

Gregory noted that typo fixes (such as tag closings) should be excepted.

Calum concurred.

Glynn noted that once sections are agreed on, the free reign commits should
end.

Gregory concurred, noting that the Windows and Menus section were still
being worked on.