Re: Menu guidelines updated

Hongli Lai wrote:
> > We should make Gnome's expectations explicit for the sake of people
> > writing a window manager.
> >
> > For example, open look programs didn't include FIle->Quit, because this
> > was supplied by the window manager. Sometimes if you used a different
> > window manager you ended up with no obvious way to quit a program!
>
> There's always kill or xkill. You can argue that newbies won't know know to
> use (x)kill, but I doubt that newbies will use window managers other than
> the standard one or a window manager that doesn't look like Windows.

I think forcing the use of the window manager for exiting an application
is a step down with regard to accessability. It's easier to navigate in
menus with the keyboard than use the mouse for some people.
Yes, you can use a window manager shortcut for closing a window, but I
don't think that's as obvious as a simple Exit menu entry in the
application.

Christian