Re: revised patch to change tooltips

Calum Benson wrote:

<snip>

> > I think the big open issue is, what happens
> > when we change a menu item so it does not map 1-1 with the app name?
> > Do we change the app name (hard) or do we at least make some reference
> > to the menu item in the app title bar (easier)?
>
> I guess a related question with this approach is what do you do when
> people add two different apps to the menus that do much the same thing,
> e.g. Xchat and GnomeChat, Gnotepad and Gedit, Clock and Another Clock?
> The tooltips and menu items would be pretty much identical for the two
> apps.  Perhaps the application name also needs to be retained in the
> menu or the tooltip somehow?

Okay I've made changes to what i've called first tier apps (for want of
a better description) These 1st tier apps are:

Evolution
Nautilus
Mozilla
GIMP

The menu format is "menutext (appname X.X)"

Let me know if there are other apps I should include.

</stake in the ground>
The assumption here is that all other apps are called "GNOME menutext".
If any other apps are installed with equivalent functionality then they should
use the above format "menutext (appname X.X)".

Using IRC as an example:

"Internet Chat" is the menutext "GNOME Internet Chat" is the app name

If Xchat gets installed (I'm making assuptions about what's in core 2.0 here),
Internet Chat (Xchat X.X) would be the label.
<stake in the ground>

what do people think?

Nils

P.S. I will post the new menus in about 15-20mins