Persistant Sessions

Not meaning to troll or anything, but I'm curious: I read that WinXP will
allow users to 'log off' while preserving their tasks and desktop state as
if they had not made any change to their session, and upon logging on again,
they return to their previous desktop. If I remember correctly, this feature
supposedly allows system-wide network interfaces to remain active (for user
by another user logging in as well as the background tasks of the 'logged
out' user), and per-user interfaces can remain active for the background
tasks of the logged-out user.

I'm just a casual tinkerer, but I wonder if this functionality exists in
Gnome? Perhaps via multple X sessions which can be accessed again by another
terminal? Sorry if the question seems thick-headed: just wanted to know. :)

------
Sean McElroy (smcelroy ou edu)

Two men look out through the same bars:
One sees the mud, and one the stars.