Re: GNOME Usability - General Questions

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 03:44:24PM -0400, Roger Taylor wrote:

> -Ideally, I'd like to be able click one or two buttons to get these GNOME
> general settings:
>   [ ...snip... ]
> 	(3) Advanced (Allow user full access to OS and configuration)
> What do you think?

I think that you've omitted the most important setting, at least from
my perspective:

	(4) Optimal (Makes full and optimal use of the available
	resources by shedding the baggage generated when trying to
	imitate the look-and-feel of legacy proprietary operating
	systems and instead assuming that the user is willing to
	invest a few minutes in learning a new and better desktop
	paradigm.)

While I understand the importance of making new users feel at home, I
also feel that it is critical to the long-term success of the Gnome
project to provide a better environment than what's currently
available, rather than one which concentrates only on imitating what
already exists.

-- John Kodis.