Huge commit adds support for translations

Hi there,

The huge commit that just happened adds support for gettext trans-
lations. It shouldn't cause any major conflicts with your local check-
outs (if you changed something) as it's just a few lines that have been
added to each .c file.

The build environment has also been tweaked a little bit.

There's no translations yet. I have no plans for orchestrating a trans-
lators team. I guess once the GNOME SVN repositories are available and
I've migrated the repo to GNOME's SVN repo, the GNOME translators will
pick the module up for translation. Nevertheless, if you send me a po
file with translations and/or make fixes to the translation environ-
ment, I'd probably accept the patch and commit it.

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be