Ideas, todo, etcetera

So, tinymail.

Camel related
-------------

o. At this moment I'm working on the account implementations. Camel has
a notion of accounts through the CamelService in combination with the
CamelSession.

You basically ask the CamelSession for a specific CamelService instance.
When doing so, you need to tell the CamelSession what type of service
you are interested in.

The API allows you to use camel_session_get_service to get both a store
provider, and a transport provider. In reality it looks like this only
works correctly for store providers.

So there's another API for getting transport providers.  camel_session
_get_transport will return you the transport provider. What I haven't
found is how I can let such a returned transport provider have
authentication and SSL. So I've been testing it with a SMTP service that
doesn't require SSL nor authentication. On the TODO list is getting SMTP
over SSL with authentication working.

o. For the store types I have POP and IMAP working. So not POP over SSL
nor IMAP over SSL. On the TODO list is getting the SSL support for
stores working. This shouldn't be very difficult. Also for the POP
store, I don't yet have subfolders working. It looks like Subfolders and
handled differently. I think for POP, subfolders are to be done with
local folders. As in Evolution only filters can write to them. So a less
high priority TODO item is getting a notion of subfolders for POP boxes
working.

o. Some people want to store their sent items in a specific folder. Such
a folder can be a remote IMAP folder also (I don't recommend it, but
some want this feature). At this moment is sending mails not yet
working, but for getting this to work it should be possible to put
messages in a folder. Tinymail can't yet put messages in a folder. So
this is a TODO item.

o. I haven't yet made renaming, creating, copying and moving messages a
todo item. But they are trivial and so if somebody wants to work on
this, I'd probably accept such patches. I will probably not focus on
such features yet.

o. Attaching a stream to a message doesn't work: it crashes. So on TODO
is fixing that.

Streams related
---------------

o. One of the streams is doing something wrong. When I use the feature
of writing an attachment to disk, not all bytes of the attachment are
written or .. the bytes are wrong. Perhaps this is because you have to
put a format-convertor in the middle (this is something camel supports).
Or whatever. I haven't really tested this.

o. Attaching a stream to a message doesn't work: it crashes. So on TODO
is fixing that.

UI related
----------

o. Somebody or some team should write a complete UI on top of
libtinymailui.

o. The current gtk implementation requires libgnome stuff. On TODO is
trying to remove such dependencies (MIME icon stuff).

Language bindings

o. Somebody started the support for Python language bindings. Somebody
else proposed to finish it. If they will: it's a todo item. I'm not yet
going to focus on this.

o. Try to make sure the header files of the camel implementation don't
require camel objects. As camel is not as easy to generate language
bindings for. This should be possible afaik, so it's a todo item.

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be