The Camel problem vs. solution

= The problem: =

The Evolution team is interested in letting evolution-data-server target
mobile devices. But it's not their focus. Nor are they going to
aggressively target the mobile & embedded platforms. Nor are they easy
on accepting drastic changes that might be required for such
environments.

Currently there's three major changes that Camel needs to be the perfect
backend library for E-mail service handling for tinymail:

    o. It needs a significantly reduced libedataserver. The
       libedataserver of evolution-data-server compiles with much more
       files, dependencies and code then what is really needed

    o. It needs the mmap patch. The mmap patch will significantly reduce
       memory usage in tinymail (more than 5MB of ram on average
       folders)

    o. It needs to remove its dependency on GnomeVFS. Not all devices
       get shipped with GnomeVFS.

The Evolution team is working with me on getting these issues upstream.
I'm, however, not expecting that we will have everything upstream before
a first tinymail release.

The tinymail release, however, will *not* wait for upstream Evolution. I
insist that tinymail will not change schedule *at all*. I will not allow
that tinymail depends on such extreme external factors in its release
schedule. Therefore ...

= The solution: =

The camel-lite-builder tool will fetch a specific version of Camel, will
patch-away the three issues raised above and will setup the environment
so that you can cleanly build a very suitable Camel framework.

Another solution would be the simply add the source code of a specific
and patched Camel to libtinymail-camel and statically compile with it. I
will go for this solution in case the camel-lite-builder one turns out
to be unpractical for device vendors and packagers.

I'm extremely interested in suggestions coming from you guys.

You can find camel-lite-builder here:
https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/camel-lite-builder

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be