Re: Renaming in libtinymail-camel started

I found myself a renaming buddy!

My real-life and old colleague Bjorn Monnens wants me to learn him about
GObject, C and GTypeInterface (the three of them at the same time!).

Repeating is the mother of all knowledge. So after this task, he will
both know EVERYTHING about GTYpeInterface, GObject and tinymail

And most important: he will HATE GObject with a passion. Which is
equally important if he wants to learn it. The idea is to rehearse his C
knowledge.

We are planning to do this on a Friday evening. We can be online. If
somebody wants to join: please tell us A.S.A.P.

The renaming of types in libtinymail-camel will continue even before
this Friday evening. The idea is to be finished with that task by this
Friday, so that Bjorn and me can focus on removing Iface suffixes.

Oh the irony of repeating ... we will not even be allowed to do
something else (like renaming a full type name in libtinymail-camel) if
I'm finished with that task by that time (which is likely, and if you
guys help me .. certain -- so it's going to be likely --).

If something comes between now and this meeting with Bjorn: it will
simply not happen unless I find another buddy. I refuse to do this on my
own.

ps. I indeed hope the Python language binding generator will then
automatically recognise the GTypeInterfaces (which it doesn't at this
moment, but this might be because of the Iface suffix in the type names
-- it shouldn't but okay --).  Any comments on this James?

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 14:50 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> I started renaming types in libtinymail-camel. It's going to happen type
> per type.
>
> The first types I renamed are TnyAccount and TnyStoreAccount to
> TnyCamelAccount and TnyCamelStoreAccount.
>
> TnyFolder -> TnyCamelFolder, TnyMsg -> TnyCamelMessage, TnyMimePart ->
> TnyCamelMimePart and TnyHeader -> TnyCamelHeader renames will follow.
>
> The application developer will not notice these changes, as the
> application developer ALWAYS uses the interfaces. Except in the account
> store implementation that uses libtinymail-camel. But the renaming will
> not make API changes (just renaming the methods and types).
>
> Note that I will soon also rename TnyMsgIface to TnyMessageIface.
>
> This renaming will not yet remove the Iface suffix. It will, however,
> rename the libtinymail-camel implementations to have "Camel" in their
> name.
>
> This will make removing the Iface suffic MUCH more easy. Removing the
> Iface suffix means that also the libtinymailui-gtk types need to add the
> word Gtk in their name. Once that is done, we can start with removing
> these Iface suffixes.
>
> Please assist me. If you would like to learn the internal tinymail code,
> this is the perfect project to join up.

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be