Re: [system-tools] Synchronize Time with Internet Servers

Jaap Haitsma a �it :
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:

El dom, 09-01-2005 a las 22:08 +0100, Jaap Haitsma escribi�>

I get a dialog box saying NTP support is not running. What should I run in order to get this to work? (I'm running Debian sid).

 You have to install ntp package. (it is suggested by gnome-system-tools
Debian package, if you are using it)

You actually need ntp-simple installed.

 If you want to adjust the time every time you boot (you need to have
access to a ntp server at that time), you want the ntpdate package.

So if I understand you correctly system-tools only uses the time server whenever you launch time-admin??

hi,

the ntpdate package will allow time to be set at boot time /if you have network access at this time/

the ntp-simple package provides the ntpd daemon, which will periodically synchronize your computer clock with an internet server. it is this daemon that you configure when you use time-admin, so the time is *not* set at this moment, only configuration options for ntpd (mainly the ntp server to use).

Fred.