Re: [system-tools]xml configuration file

Hi!

El jue, 29-04-2004 a las 14:48, Carlos Garnacho escribió:
> Hi Tiago,
>
> As I told you in IRC, while it might be a sensible solution and that all
> distros should unify in a single configuration schema, I don't think at
> all that we should give the first step here, my main reasons are:
>
> - distro specific tools & apps will rely in the distros' config files,
> causing data duplication, misinformation, errors, user headaches, etc...
>
> - we still should parse config files (at least for creating the initial
> home-made config file), and at some point, we still should rewrite the
> config files, for data consistency
>
> - this is only valid in the network config issue, IMHO the GST look for
> a broader point of view for config stuff
>
> - This would be more a maintenance pain than a bless for the gst
> developer(s?)
>
> Of course, these problems should vanish if the distros agree on a common
> config file, but I expect more to see cows in the moon than distros
> agreeing on something like this :)

I think it is very very difficult for distributions to change its own
way to do things. Maybe from some group like Linux Standar Base we can
push distros to use similar config files, but I find it at the present
very very improbable and something like GNOME System Tools can't depend
onto.

Cheers