Re: [system-tools] Feature request

Hello!

Neither I am a coder, and has no idea about how doable what I'm about to suggest is, but as a user
I sometimes feel that GNOME-applications should be able to install additional software on my
machine.
E.g. when using the g-s-t-time-tool and selecting to sync the clock against an internet server, it
states that I need to be running NTP-support.
If I'm not running NTP support because I don't have any packages providing it installed on my
system it would be sweet if I was offered to install it. The same goes for Samba.

In order to do this (in a nice way) g-s-t would have to be able to handle a lot of package
distributing mechanism. Since that is a lot of work, and there probably are others who would
benefit from being able to install software in a portable way, maybe a desktop-agnostic
wrapper-library could be written to serve as a frontend to the various package distibution
mechanisms (apt-get, emerge, autopackage...). Maybe something for fd.o? (What I was about to
suggest was the creationg of this library, would it be possible and worth the effort?)

Other nice things to put such a library to use would be an easy to use software installer and the
ability to offer the user to install applications to handle operations not supported by any
currently installed (such as viewing files).

Just some thoughts, please excuse my poor english which prevents me from expressing them in a
clear way and the gnome system tools are excellent.

Mvh
Tor-björn

Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html