Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Re: [Config4gnu-developer] Re: Re: CFGconfig management (/etc etc.)

Justin Yackoski wrote:

>I think that what you guys have done is great, and hate to see duplicate effort.  So lately I've been thinking about the differences between CFG and GST to try to figure out what we have in common and how we might be able to join forces.
>
>Unfortunately, it seems that the only thing we could potentially share is that CFG's parsers could probably be used by GST, but the XML from the GST frontends would first have to go through an intermediary that was a lot smarter than CFG's parsers.

If the CFG midellayer have some kind of service id and version control
on the XML excanged with the frontend, it must be possable to add
'alternative' fatter frontend moduls. And if the versions don't agree,
simply fall back to the generic frontend.

Must be a huge win without giving up any freedom in ui design. And
reduce duplicaton of effort significantly!

BTW, do CFG have any stable 'virtual' interfaces for seting upp standard
stuf - preferably with an option to do it only temporarly (ie, reset on
next boot). Would be great for stuff like DHCP scripts and curently,
netenv that I use and need to set different nameservers, domain, hosts
depending on the conection point - but without disturbing the 'default'
config. Just prepering some set of XML files to feed the cfg depending
on environment, leving all the details of config file format and changes
in them to the cfg would be great :-)

/LaH