[Setup-tool-hackers] 2.4 Proposed New Modules - System Tools

> gnome-network - Network admin, things, maybe - might have something to do
> with gnome-system-tools.
>  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-network/
>
> gnome-system-tools - Additions for the GNOME control panel, traditionally
> provided by distros.
>  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/

Hardly anyone has spoken about these ones [1], so I'll ask the usual
ignorant questions instead:

1. What's the relationship between gnome-system-tools and gnome-network?
Should they be combined?
2. Are they supposed to provide only system-wide preferences as opposed to
per-user preferences in the current control panel?
   Something like the Preferences and System Settings menus in RedHat 9?
3. Why do the gnome-system-tools require a backend abstraction more than the
current control panels do?
4. Is anybody still suggesting these for GNOME 2.4. Why not exactly?
5. What's going to change about that for GNOME 2.6. They seem very useful
and I hear they work fairly well.

[1] The GEP end date is now June 2nd. Not much time left.

Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net
www.murrayc.com