Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] gnome-network on gentoo and plugins.

Hi andy!

first of all, sorry for the delay, I need to be much more disciplined
answering mails :-((

El mar, 19-08-2003 a las 18:54, Andy Kilner escribió:
> Fellow hackers,
>
> I have recently been employed to work on a network configuration tool
> for a client initially on RedHat and then on Gentoo GNU/Linux. This
> required separating the logic into front and back ends in a manor
> similar to the approach for gnome-system-tools. I am hoping to get
> support of my client to port my gentoo backend code over to this
> project, if not and time allows I'll do it anyway :). The intention was
> eventually to release my own code under the (L)GPL but it isn't quite
> mature enough yet, and this project makes it pretty much obsolete.
>
> Having looked at the current code, the HACKING file mentions python
> backends are allowed but I haven't seen any examples of how this would
> be achieved as part of an existing perl backend (network stuff),
> although rewriting in perl isn't out of the question (it probably needs
> it anyway).

hmmm, unfortunately, I doubt that we could get the perl backend working
with python functions :-(, at least, in a professional way ;-)

> My own system was based on the RedHat config tools, without actually
> sharing any code with them, but used their idea of plugins for network
> devices. My client requires this functionality but I don't see an easy
> way of doing this with gnome-network.

hmmm, true, the frontend/backend structure of the GST makes this
functionality much more difficult, the heavy weight of this issue should
be in the backends, but the frontends need to understand the XML,
though...

> I'm sure there's more questions I wanted to ask but this is probably
> enough to gauge if I can get involved. I would like to be able to help
> on the gentoo port.

great!! It would be great if you helped porting the GST to gentoo :-),
for the 0.28 release I'd like to focus on supporting more distros/OS, so
your help is nowadays greatly appreciated :-P

	thanks