Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Moving the tools forward.

Hello!

> >    I know that Ximian is interested in shipping the GSTs for as many
> > systems as possible to provide the same interactions across systems, but
> > the more traction that we can get from the distributions, the better.
> > And I think of Debian as a natural ally for this technology.
> >

> I was very sad, when I heared that the tools were dropped by Ximian (and
> removed from the "Projects" on the Ximian Homepage).
> Why does Ximian not support them full time, now?

Mostly, because Ximian got absorbed into contracts with third parties
do custom Gnome development, consulting and services, and the Ximian
Setup Tools was not a revenue stream for us, it was part of a vision to
make the desktop happen, but in these hard economic times, it was
important to focus our attention on keeping Ximian viable.

To make things worse, there was a big sentiment of NIH towards the setup
tools, so for instance, Red Hat only copied the artwork, and rolled
their own versions which were not cross-platform as the tools were.

So the team that has used to work on the Ximian Setup Tools has been
working on other things.

> I think Ximian should integrate them in their desktop, and the GST should
> provide support for all the Ximian supported distributions.

Of course, we would love to.  I still believe strongly in making the
interface for system administration unified.

Miguel