Re: XML front-end ideas

David Joham wrote:

> I think the XML front end idea may have merit, but we may be getting
> overly-complex in our solution to the problem. I'll have to think about it.

It's a nice idea certainly, although may get in the way of the actual
goal of getting something working :) IMHO, one of the reasons
Mozilla/Netscape 6 is taking so long is due to the complexity caused by
the XUL interface.

> If we were to do the front end in XML, what does everyone think here about
> having that XML be XUL (Mozilla) syntax-based? They've already done a ton of
> work in getting an XML-GUI language and I think we may be able to leverage a
> lot of that. In addition, that may allow for a Mozilla-based web interface
> to be constructed easier in the future.

Another thing to bear in mind -- Mozilla is very slow at managing its
own windows. Although we wouldn't necessarily need to use the same
technology as Mozilla, such as tool kit would be far slower than
something native like Qt or GTK+. I wouldn't like our setup tool to
suffer such terrible slowness as Mozilla -- not everybody has a 1.2Gig
Athlon with half a gig of RAM;)

--
Cheers,

Chris Howells -- chris.h@gmx.co.uk