[Setup-tool-hackers] [Tambet Ingo <tambet ximian com>] Gconfproposal

I'm planning to make XST save it's data through session, here's my
proposal, what do You think?

Tambet

So here it is:

1. XstTool will load/save some common things like complexity level. It
will be done in real time (not only at the exit of the tool).
2. Every tool adds it's own variables which are also saved in real time.

GConf has really cool feature which allows "listening" for a variable.
So
we'll register listener for XstTool->main_dialog->complexity and use in
place of current complexity_changed callback. It will act exactly the
same
way, but will save the state also.

I'm planning the same thing for users-conf profiles also. There's no
need
to send profiles to backend. They are useful only in frontend so GConf
can
take care of them.

Same thing with e-tables. We can add GConf listener to Etable state
changed action (which occurs on add/remove fields), sorting, and even
cursor_changed! Next time the tool starts, it starts EXACTLY in the
state
it finished (even if it crashed on some strange reason). And it's also
really easy to do, cause with GConf it's only matter of registering a
variable to be part of configuration data and adding listeners to
recieve
notifications.

I currently don't have clear opinion, on one thing: Should we save
things
per user or per system basis? At the one hand XST primary target is root
user, but at the other hand, users can view system settings too.

Tambet