Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] XST questions

On 10 Jan 2002, Chema Celorio wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 17:58, Carlos Garnacho wrote:

> > -Suggestion) I think that the XST should include a tool for editing the
> > run level services (rc0.d ... rc6.d). If I learn more about your
> > backend/frontend structure, I offer to code this.
>
> This is a great idea, and you will find that there is already some code
> for this in the backends. I think that runlevel and services
> enabled/disabled are a different setting. On one setting you have which
> run level you want to use, on anotherone which services you want
> enabled. In other words, this settings are orthogonal, it makes little
> sense to enable/disable different services in each runlevel you either
> want them or not. Also i think we only need to care about 2 runlevels
> for simplicity sake, text login and graphical.

As always: edit most relevant runlevels (this is distro-specific) in basic
mode. Advanced mode edits all runlevels.

serviceconf is a very bad reference as a GUI: the toolbar is very poorly
related to the items you select on the list, the menu bar is irrelevant,
etc. I would consider designing from scratch, also because it is such a
simple interface.

Greetings,
Arturo