Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] I thought I would check and see first...

sounds like a good start when installing a system but to be honest, it's the lazy
way out. Taking the lazy and easy way out is one of gnome's number one problem.
Take the panels, menus, and control panel that we currently have. It looks as if
no one even attempted to design a good UI. Things are just stacked into menus and
in submenus. There really isn't much sense in doing something if it's going to be
done half ass. I realize that anyone that attempts the type of firewall utility
I'm talking about is going to face major issues and obstacles. However, they are
all obstacles that can be overcome if a little time goes into the design. Most
linux programmers are too quick to start coding and completely leave out the
whole design part.  From what I can tell, most people that will actually care to
use a firewall in any serious manner will do so for masquerading, port
forwarding, and port blocking. People that are just on a dial up or cable modem
with no lan will never need it beyond being a toy. The most they'll want is spoof
and flood protection. That's really all they need if their distro doesn't start
every last service known to man. In fact, distros like redhat, etc.... shouldn't
start any service by default besides sshd. Anyway, looking at what people will
most likely use the firewall for, I don't see how redhat's firewall script will
be much of a help. I like my basic UI layout I gave via the jpeg.  It's pretty
straight forward and can obviously take improvements. The trivial matters such as
quake players, etc...... can also be ironed out with some elegance if thought is
put into it. We are talking about the setup utilities that will be part of the
Gnome 2.0 platform guys. We all know that linux has no chance in the near future
to ever make it as a major desktop os but there is already strong holding for
linux as a server os. In that regards, shouldn't we have a set of utilities in
the control panel that would be a admins dream? Such utilities would certainly
get use more leverage.  You may say, a good admin would make his own scripts,
edit his own files, etc.... That's very true and it's only true because there are
no good tools to do it for him. However, take a look at (my personal favorite)
mac os X. It's absolutely stunning and looses no power at all through it's UI
cause it's UI is that good. Mac OS X Server is incredible. Yet, it's just a
darwin kernel. Nothing that much more special than the linux kernel but it's the
well thought out UI that makes it good.