Re: disk admin.

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > I asked hpj to focus on removable media devices first and then
> > he can work on rewriting the disks tool backend. It is much more
> > common for users to setup floppies, cd-roms, zip drives than
> > hard drives since the distro installation usually sets up everything
> > related to hard drives.
>
> What is the plan for removable devices?

- User installs Linux, the <RMD (Removable Media Device)> is not
recognized/working. (this happens a lot)
- A device is marked as only usable by root. So only root can read/write
to floppy/CD-ROM.
- User adds a <RMD>, the <RMD> is not working.
- User removes/unplugs a <RMD> we need to clean the /etc/fstab and remove

the /mnt/dirname
- A device was not correctly recognized. Say he has a CD-RW and in the
fstab
file it is marked as read only

> For removable devices, I think that there is not much work to do.  If
> anything, most of those should be taken care of at the GNOME VFS
> level, and there is little we can do with those.

I agree, gnome-vfs takes care of writing to those devices. But we still
to set them up.