Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Report code.

On 14 Aug 2001 22:40:24 -0400, Arturo Espinosa Aldama wrote:

> This may be of some use to Diego Delgado and Joakim. I'm writing this as I
> wait for Israel to do some face lifting on the internet sharing frontend
> code. I'll put it in backend/doc/protocol.
>
> Well, it turned out so big that I decided to just put it on CVS and not
> post such a beast to the mailing list.
>
> You can also check the document through:

Looks good. I have a question, though:

What's the reason for the <!-- XST: end of request --> magic string? It
seems to me to be a bad idea because magic comments embed out-of-band
information that is not aprt of the XML itself, and thus somewhat
bastardizes the standard. Secondly, it seems unnecessary since the end
of the  top-level element (which, in a DTD-less XML document is defined
as the first element, in this case for instance <internetsharing>) also
*must* signify the end of the document. It's simply not conformant XML
to have more data after closing the top-level element (other than
comments).

So this seems a little unnecessary to me. If you consider it bad to rely
on a varying element name as the end of the document, you might want to
consider always wrapping the document in a common top-level element,
named for instance <xst-configuration>.

--
    Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Engineer - joakim@ximian.com - Radagast@IRC
 FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate