Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] e-table

> This is about user-admin...
>
> I learned to use e-table a bit. It can hold anything in it'c cells and
> has user defined get_value_at function for displaying text. So we can put
> xml nodes in e-table cells and don't have to use GLists (and user and
> group structures) anymore. But that means almost total rewrite...
> Is it good idea? Or should we still put data in GList and use it in
> e-table?

We already have a strong association between the data and the display - in
fact, I made the connection as strong as possible in the earliest tools. I
think we should continue this trend, and put the XML nodes directly in the
cells (if it gets displayed nicely).

That way we get instant data transfer between view and model, which I think
is a good thing. Makes things less complicated to keep fewer copies of them
around. Oh, and it's the Right Way too.

We can't avoid a rewrite of the interfaces. It has to happen. But we should
listen to the GUI people this time, and I'd _really_ like to see an interface
guideline draft before we commit to any specific way of doing it.

--
Hans Petter