Re: NIS Hacking of users-conf

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Andrew Rawlins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am with the open connect peeps, and would be interested in hacking nIS
> into users-conf.  I have both a small NIS network at home, and a 30K
> user NIS network at work (admin at southampton university, UK).  I would
> probably be interested in seeing HST ported to Solaris and possibly IRIX
> (our main platforms apart from Linux).
>
> Any thoughts, comments?  Otherwise, I'll get hacking :)

Well, the idea is that, if the backend detects that it is running under a
NIS server, then a nis flag in the XML representations would be raised for
all NIS-collected information (only users and groups). We would have to
see how to make a difference between NIS users and system users in the
interface.

If it is a NIS client, use ypcat to read the NIS user and group databases.
Then, see which commands are available to make remote modifications, such
as yppasswd, and decide then which parts the interface and backend will
allow to be modified.

Regarding the Solaris and IRIX ports, be our guests. I hope there come no
version-specific issues with these two flavours of UNIX.

Greetings,
Arturo