[Shotwell] Usability suggestions (Gnome notifications)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:52:14 UTC 2012

I find the shotwell handling of Gnome notifications (Fedira 17 beta
here, Gnome 3.x)
a bit intrusive and annoying.

Let me explain, I plug a removable USB drive into the system that
happens to contain a dcim folder and the transparent window crawls up
from the bottom of the screen telling me if I want to:

1. Import the pictures into this software
2. Eject.

There's no escape. What if I want to "open a folder view" of the
drive?. You cant. From that dialog, at least.

And if I click on Eject, well, the drive is gone.

Now, if I remove shotwell, things get back to normal. Ie in the same
situation you plug and drive and get two options: "Open folder view"
(I think it´s actually called "Open in files..") or "Eject" (I still
think there should be an option titled ¨do nothing¨ and even better, a
selection box so it´s not asked again.

If anything, there should be at the very least three options:

1. Import pictures into Shotwell
2. Open a folder view
3. Do nothing
[ ] Do this automatically in the future