[Shotwell] event names getting randomly mangled

Adam Dingle adam at yorba.org
Sat Apr 7 13:39:44 UTC 2012

Lucas,

you've been burned by this bug:

http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/4201

The bug is not normally present in Shotwell 0.11, which supports
building with versions of Vala up to 0.13.0 only, and includes this line
in its Makefile:

MAX_VALAC_VERSION := 0.13.0

I just looked at the Debian packaging for Shotwell 0.11, found at

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/shotwell/shotwell_0.11.6-2.debian.tar.gz

Debian has patched the Makefile to build with Vala 0.14, which
unfortunately exposes the bug above.  We fixed the bug in Shotwell 0.12.
  The fix was not small, but Debian will have to backport that fix to
Shotwell 0.11 if they really want to build with Vala 0.14.

adam