Re: total newb-er question: how to make fc3 use sawfish in a gnome-session

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, philip dahlquist wrote:

> awright, laugh, giggle, shake your head in disgust, but i just want to
> know how to make fc3 behave like my trusty rh7.3 desktop.  i don't
> tolerate bluecurve/metacity very well.  it's like shoes that don't fit
> right. no window snap or viewports. uggh.

Just kill the metacity process, run sawfish (Ideally on one command line),
and when you log out make sure you check the box to save your session.

Ie -- ps auxww | grep metacity
Get the process id, assume it's number 500

kill 500; /usr/bin/sawfish &

They've taken out the ability to change  the window manager from the config
GUI.

Fortunately in Fedora 3, the Workspace switcher finally recognizes Sawfish
viewports again.

-Chris

Chris Candreva  -- chris westnet com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/