Re: wanted: keyboard macros in X

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:45:09 -0500, Brandon Craig Rhodes <brandon rhodesmill org> wrote:

I am interested in creating a keyboard macro where, say, the F5 key
would type the string "the" into whichever window currently had the
keyboard focus.  I can think of various approaches:

 (1) Write a sawfish lisp function that generates the "t", "h", and
     "e" key events, and bind the function to F5 through the sawfish
     keymap.  But, having read the sawfish manual, I am unsure how to
     insert events into the X event queue.

Sounds like synthesize-event is the function you're looking for.

	-Eric