TWM-like icon manager?

I would like to create an always-live window similar to the "TWM Icon
Manager".  What I want (ideally) is the following:

    Window is a list of text lines, like a menu
    Window is treated like any other normal window (i.e.,
	iconifying, etc. should be explicit)
   *Each text line is the title of some window on the screen
   *Text is sorted alphabetically
   *Some window titles can be omitted based on a pattern match
    Clicking on a text line toggles iconification for the associated window
   *Window can be iconified from a normal Sawfish menu item

The requirements marked with "*" are things that I'm sure I can figure
out how to do myself.  My big problem is that I don't know how to
create an on-screen window whose events are passed to Sawfish, nor how
to handle those events internally.

In a couple of hours of searching, I couldn't find anything similar
that I could hack to do what I want.  I'm confident that I could
learn, but as a newcomer to Sawfish and librep it would take me quite
a while to get sufficiently up to speed, so it seems more efficient to
ask for suggestions.  I don't need working code, but if somebody could
sketch out how to accomplish the unstarred stuff, I'd sure appreciate
it.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff cs hmc edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

McDonald's, which does not wait on your table, does not cook your food
to order, and does not clear your table, came up with the slogan ``We
Do It All For You.''
	-- Dave Barry