Re: [sabayon] two things

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:16:36AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 15:40 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > 2) have you guys considered what it would take/mean to maintain an
> > unzipped profile in version control? It seems like it would be useful
> > to me, though admittedly an edge case (and I also admit I haven't
> > thought it through fully) and I was wondering if you guys had given
> > any thought to the implications/problems thereof.
>
> 	Probably not something that would be worthwhile supporting directly,
> but it should be straightforward enough for you to manually unzip the
> profile and store its contents in a version control system.

  One of the design point of the current format is that it allows to
store internally all the revisions of the current files, i.e. there
is an internalized control system possible. It does not replace fully
a centralized external version control system but I think it should fullfill
80% of what people would use the version contol for, i.e. be able
to rollback on mistakes. Of course there are limitations, it's hard
to integrate flexibly at the UI level and the data would tend to grow
fast if there is a lot of changes, but it's a first integrated step.

Daniel