Re: [sabayon] apply, start_monitoring, delegate construction and initial state

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 18:41 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> First a question:
>
> When apply is called in a source/delegate module it is a separate
> instance from when monitoring is invoked, right? This will be key in a
> moment.

	Well, they're completely different processes ... i.e. apply() is
invoked from sabayon-apply and monitoring is only used in
sabayon-monitor.

> How does a delegate create it's initial state? In other words before
> monitoring begins it might need to capture the state of the files its
> going to monitor (so it can tell what's different in those files). When
> can the delegate create this initial state? Delegates don't get called
> for start_monitoring, which I think is the right moment. The delegate
> constructor is not the right place, construction is not limited to
> monitoring nor is it necessarily at the right moment. I considered
> creating the initial state after being invoked to apply, thats not a bad
> moment, except (see first question) I don't think the apply and the
> monitoring are using the same objects, they're invoked indpendently
> (right?)
>
> So is the right answer that we need to add start_monitoring as a
> delegate member and invoke it so delegates can initialize in preparation
> for monitoring?

	Well, you're going to need the initial state when you're applying too,
right? So, I don't see what's wrong with doing it in the constructor ..

	But if you want to add start_monitoring() to SourceDelegate, I've no
problem with that.

Cheers,
Mark.