Re: Time to analyze the roadmaps!

Hi,

I forgot that:

I suggest we have the roadmap draft done and published for discussion
on May 21st. What do you think?

--lucasr

2007/5/12, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org>:
Hi,

Thanks for sending this message. This week was so horrible to me that
I didn't have energy for doing so. :-/

> We're supposed to have received all the modules' roadmaps. I'm sure
> we're missing a few ones, but we can still start analyzing what's in
> there.

Sure. Actually, I'm really happy with the results of this roadmap
information gathering phase. Most of the maintainers replied. Some
with good and useful information, others with vague plans. Well, that
was expected anyway. :-)

> We didn't discuss what's the best approach for this. I suggest we look
> for themes that we can find in more than one roadmaps, or that can apply
> to lots of modules. We don't have to agree that those are good ideas for
> now: we should just make a first list.

I would separate this analysis work in two parts:
1) Summarizing GNOME-wide roadmap based on the module roadmaps, This
basicaly involves reading all module roadmaps and choosing the points
that make sense to be in the "global" roadmap.
2) Summarizing proposed GNOME-wide plans which involve cross-module
development (the "themes" you mentioned).

I created http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Draft as our drafting space.
This way we can keep editing the page without spamming a lot of
people. :-)

I suggest we organize the roadmap following the same structure than
before: Developer Platform, User Visible and Infrastructure &
Organization.

After we have an initial version of 2.20 roadmap, we publish it on
l.g.o/RoadMap and send a short report to desktop-devel-list pointing
out the ideas proposed for future cross-module plans and the roadmap
draft for discussion. Changes are made in the roadmap and then we have
the first version of the roadmap which will be reviewed later after
UI/Feature freeze.

> Also, one of the important information is the replies to "what are we
> missing currently?". Those can give useful hints for roadmap items we
> could suggest.

Sure.

> I'm a bit busy, so I'm not sure I'll have a lot of time to dedicate to
> this time. Does someone has some free time for this?

Next week will be much better for me I guess. I'm on it. :-)

Cheers!

--lucasr