Fwd: GNOME Roadmap - Information Request for pango

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>
Date: 08/05/2007 21:45
Subject: Re: GNOME Roadmap - Information Request for pango
To: Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org>, gtk-devel-list <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
Cc: otaylor redhat com, behdad gnome org

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 00:44 +0300, Lucas Rocha wrote:
Dear maintainer,

GNOME 2.18 was released ~1 month ago, and we've all started to focus
on the next development cycle. A new roadmapping process has been
proposed[1] to know our short-term and long-term plans. The goal is to
compose a GNOME-wide roadmap for the next stable releases. And we need
your help to do this. It's important that you take a few minutes to
reply to the following questions before May 7.

----

- What are your plans for GNOME 2.20 (next 4 months, before feature and
 UI freezes)?

Lots of small improvements in the pangocairo backend.  I have blogged
about some already.  In the pipeline for the next couple of weeks is:

 - Fix backspacing problem for non-Latin languages

 - Fix vertical text shaping to use vertical variants of punctuation,
etc.

 - Add various small/medium API filed in bugzilla

 - A new shaping engine for minority language N'Ko.  Pango will be the
first computer system ever to render N'Ko, Yay!

And a bit longer since it need cairo ground work:

 - Producing perfectly text-extractable PDFs using pangocairo.

- What are your plans for GNOME 2.22 (next year)?

 - Catching up with recent HarfBuzz efforts, that is, merging shapers
with Qt.

- Do you have plans for a future release?

Not sure what this means.

- Do you have any goals from 2.18 that were not achieved? Why?

Not really.  Vertical support was the main feature worked for 2.18, but
we also got a lot of other requested API in.

- Is there something that is really missing in our infrastructure or
 platform that would help you?

Not really.  Pango mostly depends on glib and cairo only, and we
constantly add needed features to those and use in pango.

- Do you have plans to work on other modules not maintained by you?
 What are they?

Depends on the moment.

- Do you have any GNOME-wide goals suggestions for the next releases?

I suggest focusing on Project Ridley, that is, encouraging people to
work on Ridley so we get a better, richer Gtk+ sooner.

Cheers,

behdad

----

You can reply those questions in two ways: you can directly create a
wiki page for your module's roadmap or you can just reply this
message to roadmap-list gnome org
To create the wiki page, follow the instructions:

1. Create a wiki page under http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/ModuleName,
where "ModuleName" is a wiki word version of your module (i.e Gedit,
LibGnome, GnomeVfs, etc). You can use this template for the wiki page
initial content:
 http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/ModuleTemplate

2. Add a link to the new page in http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Modules
and set the status column to "Info" accordingly.

----

You can keep track of the roadmapping process for your (and other)
modules at:
 http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Modules

For more information about the roadmap process, go to:
 http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Process

For more information about our schedule, go to:
 http://live.gnome.org/Schedule

Thanks for your contribution!

The Roadmap Gang

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2007-March/msg00011.html