Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Breakdown #3

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 13:45 +0100, Martin Jeppesen wrote:
> > First, the old search box has been replaced with a new "search bar", and
> > the "show browser" disclosure has been moved to the toolbar. The search
> > bar now lets you pick whether your search applies to everything ("All")
> > or is limited to Artists/Albums/Titles.
>
> Two suggestions:
>
> * The current tooltip for the Hide Browser button is "Change the
> visibility of the browser". What about changing it to "Toggle 3 pane
> view" ?

I don't think "Toggle 3 pane view" is overly descriptive. But "Change
the visibility of the browser" could definitely be improved.

> * Like it have been suggested before, I too thing a drop down menu is
> the way to go, rather than having 3 almost but not quite unlike radio
> buttons =)
>
> A drop down menu scales, and it takes up much less UI space. It could look like:
>
> Show only: [                                                 ] in [ Albums ]

I don't mind the current "button bar" too much, but a drop menu is
probably much better. In either case, having it be at the right hand
side and making the search entry take up the rest of the space is
probably a good idea.

> > Based heavily of Gedit's and Epiphany's, Rhythmbox now features a plugin
> > framework which will allow people to extend RB.
>
> I can't wait to see the code for the first Python plugin that changes
> the UI Rhythmbox!

We still need to sort out how plugins add to the main UI. Probably the
way to go would be a "add widget to sidebar/header/whatever" function or
something.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
We all enter the world in the same way: naked... screaming... soaked in
blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have