Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Breakdown #3

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 00:05 +1100, James "Doc" Livingston wrote:

> Looking through your library: of browsers and searching
>
> There have been a number of changes related to the browsers and how you
> search your library since 0.9.3, a few of which are still settling down.
>
> First, the old search box has been replaced with a new "search bar", and
> the "show browser" disclosure has been moved to the toolbar. The search
> bar now lets you pick whether your search applies to everything ("All")
> or is limited to Artists/Albums/Titles.
>
> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63631559 N00/114091471/)
>

> Two long-standing requests that make RB nicer to use have finally been
> implemented: the search box filters the browsers, and clicking on an
> item in a browsers doesn't reset the others.
>
> All playlists (normal and automatic) now have full support for browsers
> and the search bar. You can even use drag-and-drop re-ordering in normal
> playlists while the list is filtered.

The search bar is nice, might want to add a Podcast tag as in iTunes.

Also on the issue of the clear button, why not include a small gray (X)
(Circle wrapping an X) button on the gtk.Entry itself? It wouldnt bother
anybody.

> DAAP improvements
> -----------------
>
> A reasonable amount of work has been put into DAAP (music sharing)
> support, fixing bugs and generally improving it. Password-protected
> shares are now indicated by a lock emblem being added to the icon in the
> side bar, and you can also password-protect your Rhythmbox share.

DAAP doesnt save ratings, I havent looked into the issue (using
mt-daapd), but I will later, might be a RB problem or a remote
permission thing.

> Let's have a Party!
> -------------------
>
> Rhythmbox 0.9.3 had a fairly pointless "Fullscreen mode", which has now
> been replaced by a much more useful "Party Mode". As well as being
> fullscreen, double-clicking on track will enqueue them (rather than
> instantly playing them), and some destructive actions (move to trash,
> removing) are disabled.
>
> There are probably a lot more useful things that could be added to Party
> Mode; if you have any suggestions, let us know.

Very cool, although it would be nice if the menu bars were hidden or
something, and password protection was added to avoid people switching
tracks, quiting, deleting etc.

Just an idea.

> Plugging it in
> --------------
>
> Based heavily of Gedit's and Epiphany's, Rhythmbox now features a plugin
> framework which will allow people to extend RB.
>
> There isn't much to see right at the second, as the only plugin is
> AudioScrobbler song submission (which we have supported since 0.9.2),
> but we should get some more exciting things turning up soon.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/63631559 N00/114094829/

This is EXTREMELY nice. Specially if there is a way to do plugins in
Python. Doing them in C is just senseless for the most part.

Please keep posting these weekly.
--
Marc