Fwd: [Rhythmbox-devel] Another Play Counter?

Sorry, forgot to edit TO:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Berg <drberg1000 gmail com>
Date: Mar 7, 2006 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Another Play Counter?
To: Joel Duggan <joelduggan gmail com>

On 3/7/06, Joel Duggan <joelduggan gmail com> wrote:
> Current behaviour of "play count" would cause extra "aborts".  It only
> increments when the song reaches 100%.  This means the "start count"
> would increment when the song starts and then "play count" would not
> be incremented when the app closes.

I realized this shortly after posting the message.  "abort count" by
its self would have to account for too many reasons for aborting.  But
combined with play count to get a ratio the statistic would be useful
without having to consider if the abortions were due to a crash or
other reason.

If its aborted every time the ratio would be high.  But if its a song
that you play alot and the system crashes once, it won't affect the
ratio much.  One might have to consider how often songs are played and
come up with their own thresholds but you typically have to do that
anyway.

Since none of the counters throw any flags anyway, it would only be
looked at by someone who knows what they want anyway.

--Dave