From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>
To: Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:50:47 +0100
Cc: aigiskos <aigiskos yahoo com>, desktop-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 23:58 +0100, Chipzz wrote:
> > Gnome application is coming up with its own plug-in
> > framework-- thus needlessly duplicating work.
>
> That's another thing - but weither that is possible... ?

it is perfectly possible. There is a try in the gnome-office module in
CVS, which defines a simple plugin class with the common methods (load,
unload, get_list_of_interfaces), and then, that plugin implements a list
of interfaces (PluginInterface interface). There is a set of minimum
defined interfaces (document loader, with open() method, for instance),
etc

Applications can then just define their own interfaces for specific
needs, but if all GNOME applications used a common plugin system, I'm
sure there would be enough common plugins to share between different,
unrelated applications.

If we could have something like this in a widely used library, like
GLib, it would help a lot.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>