[Rhythmbox-devel] more new stuff in CVS

Hi,

As part of our secret plan to make Rhythmbox 0.9.4 contain more crazy
badness (and I mean that in a good way) than any previous release, I've
just committed the changes I've been working on to do metadata reading
in a separate process.  The main reason to do this was to avoid
rhythmbox crashing when GStreamer chokes on a file.

To answer the obvious question, no, this doesn't make it much slower.  I
haven't been able to compare times to import my full library with and
without the external process, because the version without, um, kept
crashing, but it looked like the times were going to be able the same
(about 8 minutes to import 10000 songs).

For now, it's disabled by default, but it can be enabled by passing
--with-metadata-helper to ./configure.  If you use the
--enable-uninstalled-build option, it'll look for the metadata service
executable in the build directory, but otherwise it'll look in
$libexecdir.  If you're packaging rhythmbox for a distribution and this
causes you pain, please let me know and we'll figure out something
better.

There are various tricks for testing and debugging the metadata service,
but hopefully no one will ever need to know them..

Feedback on this is, as ever, welcome.