Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Translation through rosetta

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 19:20 +0530, गौरव मिश्रा(Gaurav) wrote:
> On 8/1/06, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> > Rhythmbox uses the GNOME translation team's work for translations. When,
> > and if, the GNOME translation team uses Rosetta, Rhythmbox will.
> > That's one of the benefits of being hosted on the GNOME CVS.
> >

> I am quite aware of this and even contacted the Hindi team too to give
> me permission for the required translations.But the Problem I see is
> that many Ubunteors(Ubuntu users) are using Rosetta as Default
> translation tool (including me for Rythmbox, which is the default
> music Player in Ubuntu), And Hard work of a lot of people is going
> waste as they are Not translating the mainstream version (At Rosetta
> head.pot files are quite older as compare to the current head.pot
> files at Gnome CVS), They claim unless and untill the upstream
> developer don`t approve and import the pots file in Rosetta , we could
> only translate the current branch supported in Rosetta.

Then this is a problem with Rosetta. I don't see why we should be
relying on non-free infrastructure, that makes a community do the work,
in order for us to get translations.

> > In the meanwhile, I would:
> > - pressure Mark to make the sources to Rosetta available
> > - make sure it supports everything the GNOME translation project needs
> > - have the GNOME translation project move to using Rosetta.
> >

> Thanks, If current GNOME translation and Rosetta could communicate ,
> it would be of great help

Bring this up on the GNOME translation mailing-list then:
gnome-i18n gnome org

> > In the meanwhile, I don't see any reasons for us to do this extra work,
> > which would probably be duplicating the GNOME translation project's
> > work.
> >

> I hope you got my point. Let me know if something more is required.

What I notice is that right now, I wouldn't put any effort into doing
translations using Rosetta until the problems above have been fixed.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
I saw Welles as a kind of punk, in his time. He seemed like trouble.