Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Breakdown #4

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 09:28 +0100, Mark Hewitt wrote:
> Could I suggest a very simple potential application, but a powerful one?
> I have a very non-standard mpio mp3 player, which has no hope of ever
> being supported by rhythmbox or other general software, since it needs a
> whole custom program of its own to interface with it, and is fairly old
> and obscure into the bargain. Basically when I want to load it up I copy
> whatever tracks I want into a directory, run mpiosh (the custom
> interface software) in that directory, and choose "Upload all" from its
> options. Crude but it works. It would be really nice to be able to use
> rhythmbox to shift whatever tracks I want into that directory ready for
> upload. Could I suggest a new type of playlist, which will equate to a
> given directory? Anything copied into that playlist would be copied to
> the directory, and vice versa. This would also work for usb mass storage
> devices which do not detect properly as mp3 players but dock onto the
> directory structure correctly. Make sense?

"That Sounds Like A Good Plugin(tm)"

Right now, you can create automatic playlists that show particular
directories, using "Path starts with file:///path/to/directory" as a
criteria.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to write a new class for "directory
sources", which are like an automatic playlists but also let you drag
and drop tracks to copy them. From there it wouldn't be too hard to add
a "run command in directory" action.

James "Doc" Livingston
--
If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer! -- Ace Ventura