Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Identify songs by Id, not by File path

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 16:31 +0200, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Le lundi 12 septembre 2005 à 20:24 +0900, pclouds a écrit :
> > What do you think about this idea? My disks are sometimes full and i
> > have to move my songs around. I can't figure out anyway to move my
> > songs without losing rhythmbox metadata.
>
> I think a possible technical solution to your problem could be to create
> a daemon that would be launched on GNOME session startup, and that would
> use inotify to track changes concerning the files you have in your
> database. The same daemon could be used to watch a given folder, and
> automatically add to the library any file that gets moved to this
> folder.
>
> But of course, it would need:
>  1) to be accepted as a possible solution
>  2) to be written by someone

Even easier is for Rhythmbox to watch all the files in the library if
inotify is available, as it's now much cheaper to do so.

It would potentially be possible to monitor the files, and notice
whether the files were moved (inotify would be able to do that when
moving files within a partition, gnome-vfs could fake the event when we
use gnome_vfs_move for moving files across partitions).

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
He has a threshold for pain beyond us mere mortals. -- T3 director
Johnathan Mostow (on Arnie)