Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Useful "Delete file from disk" missing

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 20:15 -0400, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> I, as some others (see below), would want to be able to delete a file from
> disk permanently using Rhythmbox.  I found this issue mentioned in:
<snip>
> While I fully agree with the "Rhythmbox is not a file manager" principle I
> also believe there's a strong case for allowing user to *delete* files
> physically from disk via Rhythmbox.  The problem is that the filenames of mp3
> files insufficiently describe their content.  You often get a few files
> containing the same song, but filename of one of them starts with a number,
> second one with album name, and third one with the song title.  You'd need to
> actually have a file manager capable of reading ID3 tags to help you sort via
> tags' content.  But it gets worse, as many songs have wrong/empty/useless ID3
> data, so the ultimate way of deciding whether a song is to be kept or not is
> to play it.

The other day I though of something somewhat related to this: you can't
select tracks in a playlist and then remove then from the library, only
the selected playlist.

Some people want Rhythmbox to be able to play "out of library" files,
but I don't think this would be necessary if both of the idea were
implemented. In 0.9.1 you can drag some files/folders from Nautilus (or
anywhere) over the empty space in the sidebar, and it will create a
playlist with what you dropped. If you could right click on them and
either remove from the library, or delete from disk, it would solve what
people actually want "out of library" playback for.

If we were to do this, we could replace the current "delete" menu item
with "Delete from disk", "Remove from Library" (playlist/library) and
"Remove from Playlist" (normal playlists).

I agree that Rhythmbox shouldn't be a file manager, but I think this
would be useful - particularly in conjunction with potential future
features like Watched Directories and CD Ripping, because them you don't
have to use a file manager to deal with your music.

Comments?

> PS: Please Cc: me if possible, I am not on the ML.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
>> Is "wrongest" an actual word?
> It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Which, when used, embiggens us all. -- Jeff Ramsey, Steed and D. Joseph
Creighton in asr