Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Patch: repeat one

On 11/7/05, James Livingston <jrl ids org au> wrote:
The patch looks good, but we really need to solve the
play-order-selection issues.

In my personal opinion the Shuffle+Repeat checkboxes suck as UI to
choose the play order. First of all, they limit it to four play orders -
there are eight defined in Rhythmbox already, plug yours and several
more that people have ideas for. Second, it isn't at all obvious what
the difference between Shuffle with Repeat and Shuffle without Repeat
is.

I think that some form of menu is the only real way to do it, because
there isn't really another way to handle an arbitrary list of play
orders. What to do in the menu bar becomes obvious Control->Shuffle and
Control->Repeat should be replaced with a Control->Play Order submenu.

The play order checkbxes shouldn't really be in the status bar, and
using a combo box makes it even less obvious what it is. I can think of
a couple of options for play order selection in the main UI:

1) Don't have it in the main UI.
2) Put a combo box in the player controls
3) If we go with the toolbar, use one of the drop-menu toolbar buttons

I don't think that people would change play orders that often, so (1)
sounds fine to me.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Huh ?" -- MPW C error message

That sounds good to me, I'll get started.

Paul Boyd