Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Song transitions

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:18:25PM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Le jeudi 19 mai 2005 à 11:01 -0400, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
> > For most CDs, every song is separated from the previous one by a couple
> > seconds of silence.  But that's not always the case (most common cases being
> > for live albums).  When I ripped Santana/Moonflower with oggenc/Grip and
> > then listened to it with Rhythmbox I noticed that the transitions weren't
> > quite right.  It's bearable but annoying.
> >
> > Is the problem with Rhythmbox, GStreamer, oggenc, Grip, or something else?
> >

> Rhythmbox doesn't support gapless playback, so it is one of the
> culprits.

With the playbin code, playing ogg vorbis through esd, the gap is either
nonexistant or so small I can fool myself into not hearing it.  Probably
the latter, but I don't care.  MP3 has some block size limitations (or
something) that mean it doesn't work nearly as well.  I'm not sure about
any other formats.

-jonathan