Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Structure in genres

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 21:20 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I wish the "genre" had some structure.
> >> I.e. instead of a linear list of genres, I'd like to see it be a tree
> >> (well, rather a DAG), so "Progressive Rock" could be found under "Rock" and
> >> "Chamber Music" would appear within "Classical".
>
> > What if we made the search more intelligent instead?  So Rhythmbox might
> > show results for Chamber Music if you searched for Classical.
>
> I use the browser rather than the search box, so improving the search
> wouldn't help me much.

Hm, ok, but I guess that leads me to wonder if you *would* use the
search box if it returned more useful results for you.  I mean, probably
hundreds of millions people use Google and find what they're looking for
every day, we should be able to match that in the significantly more
limited domain of a few thousand music songs.

I'm not sure what else to do; clearly we're not going to embed Graphviz
for a directed graph of genres in the list...