Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] (no subject)

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 21:57 +0200, ÐÐÐÑÐÑ ÐÐÐÑÑÐÑÐÐ wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 20:23 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
>
> >There was a discussion about having more powerful filters available
> >earlier in the year[0]. That suggest more complex searches, allowing
> >you
> >to specify "artist=X or album=Y" and the like. What you're suggesting
> >would be a lot simpler, and fairly trivial to implement.
> >
> >[0]http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2005-April/msg00041.html
>
> I know this will sound a bit un-gnome, but would it be possible to
> implement perl styled regular expressions as a type of filtering system
> in the search. Actually, how difficult would it be to implement it,
> except for making a library like pcre a dependency?

If we are only talking about the current rhythmdb-tree backend, and
ignore any future db backends such as sqlite, then we can add any
predicate[0] with about 15 lines of code (plus the function itself).

The question is if we could add these kinds of things in a sane way.
Something like Banshee's menu-in-searchbox would probably work, although
a "regular expression" option would probably be confusing to most
people; I guess this is where plugins/extensions would probably be
handy.

[0] takes the RhythmDBEntry and the string entered, and returns true or
false

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Networks are like sewers ... My job is to make sure your data goes away
when you flush, and to stop the rats climbing into your toilet through